NewTown Macon, 555 Poplar St., Macon, GA
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Salary: $80,000 per annum plus benefits
Benefits: 13 paid holidays, 20 PTO days, flexible work schedule, health insurance (employer pays 80% of premium), gym membership, short- & long-term disability and 4% retirement match 401k
Application deadline: 5pm on Friday, June 1, 2018
Start date: Immediately Office
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm, subject to change
About NewTown Macon
NewTown Macon, a 501©3 non-profit organization, is the driving force behind revitalization in downtown Macon, Georgia. NewTown is one of the most dynamic, comprehensive and innovative revitalization non-profits in the country. Formed in 1996, NewTown has leveraged more than $600 million of investment in the urban core during its existence. NewTown’s mission is to “attract, leverage and invest in self-sustaining transformation” in downtown Macon by increasing the number of residents living in downtown, growing jobs, creating a sense of place, and advocating for progress.
NewTown is a small office where professionals manage their own time independently within their area of responsibility. Employees must be self-motivated problem solvers and must deploy their skills and abilities to bolster their colleagues, contribute to the success of the organization as a whole and fulfill our mission. Because the staff is small, tasks and projects shift across job descriptions fluidly as we encounter new opportunities and challenges.
The CFO is a full-time, senior-level, salaried position responsible for fulfilling our mission by developing, maintaining and managing finances, insurance, risk management and human resources of NewTown and its subsidiaries, using policies and procedures approved by the Board of Directors. With limited assistance, the CFO manages all accounts payable and receivable. The CFO works closely with the CEO to develop, implement and run an annual operating budget. In addition, the CFO coordinates all audit activities for the organization. The organization’s revenues average $2.5 million annually, with current assets totaling approximately $10.8 million. This position reports to the President and CEO and works closely with staff and Board members.
The successful employee will be trust-worthy, diligent, organized, detail-oriented with a self-motivated ability to deliver accurate on-time reports. The employee will also be able to communicate complex financial concepts in terms that are easy for staff and volunteers to understand. The employee will have a proven track record of setting priorities and managing budgets, who can strengthen all aspects of our mission by increasing efficiency.
On a daily basis, the CFO is responsible for receiving all income and requests for payment, logging them in QuickBooks Premier Nonprofit 2017, and processing the related payments and deposits. Once a month, the CFO must produce a Generally Accepted Accounting Principal (GAAP) financial statement, along with a manual financial statement of operating activities, tracking unrestricted income and expenses. In addition to the usual non-profit financial management tasks, the CFO also accounts for related activities that NewTown undertakes to fulfill its mission including small business and real estate lending (currently 19 loans totaling more than $6 million), real estate development (including tax credit syndication partnerships), real estate leasing and management (currently 66 tenants), and a self-taxing Business Improvement District (also known as a BID [see O.C.G.A. 36-43]). Based on these diverse activities, the successful candidate will be literate in non-profit, for profit and public accounting best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, management, finance or a closely related field
- Three years of experience in a position with relevant responsibilities to this opportunity
- Advanced computer literacy, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks
- Experience managing finances for a comparable organization
- Experience creating and driving analytic framework for planning and managing finances and organizational impact
- Experience with legal, audit, compliance, budget, insurance, human resources, risk management and resource development
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
Proficiency in the following is strongly desired.
- Master’s degree in business, accounting, management, finance or a closely related field
- Five years of experience in a position with relevant responsibilities to this opportunity
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license
- Experience with a large and complex non-profit with similar functions
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Clear and concise communications style, with an ability to communicate complex ideas
- Academic or professional experience in business development, historic preservation, economic development and/or urban revitalization
- Supervise payroll, billing, receivables, payables, cash receipts, cash disbursements, and general ledger functions. - 30% of job
- Produce monthly financial statements including balance sheet, profit/loss statements, and accumulative general ledger using a computer-based accounting system - 10% of job
- Ensure that all general ledger accounts are reconciled to subsidiary records on monthly basis - 10% of job
- Monitor cash flow and investments- 10% of job
- Prepare necessary work papers and oversee filing of tax forms including the annual Form 990- 10% of job
- Prepare necessary work papers and oversee the annual audit- 10% of job
- Evaluate and mitigate risks by securing, maintaining and updating necessary insurance coverage, including filing claims- 5% of job
- Coordinate human resources, such as processing new employees and securing and processing benefits- 5% of job
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts and prepare related journal entries- 5% of job
- General administrative tasks and other assignments to support the office and management- 5% of job
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to email@example.com before the application deadline listed above.